Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Chip

I have been looking at some posts on a Bmw forum and a lot of the people on the forum talk about getting a chip for their car. I was just wondering does getting a chip wear down your motor faster because you are asking it to put out more power than it is supposed to? Also, about how much HP gain do you get from a chip and about how much does one cost?

2 comments:

Spencer said...

Okay, before all of my ticket accidents, I was researching "sup'ing" up my car's engine. I.e. torque and horse power. The thing is with a chip, you need to buy a programmer which runs from $250-$600. Each chip is designed to different things, but I have found a few in which are incredible. When you say if it wears your motor faster, it is true and not. In a sense, when you program your car to full capacity, your fuel mileage goes down, as well as oil, etc. But on the other hand, performance sky rockets. Programmers are only necessary for racing, and if serious, I could give you a good website for chips.

Zummo said...

Ok, I'm going to give you the advice to disregard what Spencer said.... Chips will help you most when you have a turbo in your car. If i remember correctly you have a type-S, so you are legible for a chip. A chip is designed to increase the engine fuel flow through your engine to run the turbo harder which in time, does wear your motor. I advise leaving your turbo be, since it's not that big of a turbo to begin with and i can only tell you the amount of times i've heard people blowing their stock turbo's.

Instead of a chip though, I highly recomment a "tuner". Unlike a chip, a tuner actually tells the computer that runs your engine to work its components (except for the turbo) to run harder. Your air intake, exhaust flow, fuel injections, and rev limiter can all be adjusted with a tuner. A tuner for a tuber car runs for about 300-500 dolars, instead of the 800 you'd be spending only adjusting the turbo, plus the tuner gives just as much gain as a chip would to your stock turbo.